This is the updated version of my Google News Sitemap Generator script for Joomla. Please note that this script just generates sitemaps for Google News service, not for Google common Search Engine.
As many of you recently requested an update for the script, needed for Google changes to the sitemap structure, I decided to start working on it, but this time I tried to create a real component instead of a simple external tool.
Please note this is a Joomla 1.5 extension only, so no 1.0.x compatibility!
The component is still in development. Core Sef, Core Sef without mod_rewrite and no Sef component are supported at the moment
- Built following Google News sitemap standards
- Only shows articles from the last two days, as requested from Google News rules [ read more ]
- Articles limited to 50000, as requested from Google News rules [ read more ]
- Easy administration interface
- Dynamically generated sitemap. Google will always find your latest articles.
- Core Sef support
- Core Sef without mod_rewrite support
- Support for non-sef installations
- Sh404Sef Support
This time there won’t be different versions for each SEF service, but a single version able to switch via the Administration interface. So, no multiple downloads, no difficult on choosing. Just go ahead and download the extension: com_gnsg.zip
As this is a common component for Joomla, you can install it as you do with any component: login to your admin, choose Extension => Install/uninstall from the top menu, then select the downloaded files in the Upload Package File field and press Upload. Yes, you’re done!
Google requires some parameters to be specified in the sitemap, so I created a quick administration panel for you to configure them. Just login in your Joomla administration panel and navigate into Components => GoogleNews Sitemap Gen.
Your admin interface should be something like the one shown below
For your sitemap to be fully working you need to fill at least the first field: Pubblication Name. This is the name of your site as shown on Google News pages, without anything in parentheticals. Please have a look at Google News Sitemap documentation for more information about this field.
Submitting your sitemap to Google
After configuring the only required parameter you can proceed on previewing and then submitting your news sitemap to Google.
The url of your sitemap is specified in the administration interface as shown before, just copy that address to submit it. Please refer to Google News Sitemap documentation for further information on how to submit your sitemap.
- 18 Jan 2010 – Added Sh404Sef support
- 17 Jan 2010 – Added support for Sef without mod_rewrite and non Sef installations
- 10 Jan 2010 - Initial Release